These portable size Crispy Chicken Buns dipped in homemade Chick-fil-A sauce is so satisfying. Filled with crispy fried chicken, bell peppers, colby cheese, and pickles. Then dipped, in copycat Chick-fil-A sauce! Can be the perfect appetizer or game night snack. So filling and delicious!
More about these Crispy Chicken Buns
For the month of Ramadan, a holy month where Muslims fast from sunrise to sunset we wake up before sunrise and eat breakfast or any type of meal that will fill us up for the day. Granted, we still do get hungry and or thirsty throughout the day. Although, having something filling like these Crispy Chicken Buns will satisfy your hunger all day. My husband loved them and has been eating at least 4 every morning before sunrise. Here I would like to share with you all on how to make them!
During Ramadan, as Muslims fast, we go through cravings of all sorts of things. From sweets, to fried foods, almost everything that sounds so good! These Crispy Chicken Buns are effortless to make, and will mimic the taste of crispy fried chicken sandwich. This pairs perfectly with my homemade Chick-fil-A sauce! You will have 20 portable sandwiches and that will satisfy your cravings just as a crispy chicken sandwich. Pop them in the microwave and heat them up, or heat them in a mini oven and you’ll have the best crispy sandwich buns ever!
What you will need:
For the filling:
- Chicken Tenders – You can use any kind of chicken, bone out and skinless. I prefer chicken tenders or chicken breast for this recipe. If you use chicken breast, make sure to thinly slice chicken in half so it cooks faster.
- Corn starch and Flour – These two ingredients will be the main component to making the batter for the chicken so its crispy.
- Paprika, Garlic powder, Salt, Pepper – The seasonings you will need for the chicken.
- Red bell pepper – I like to use red bell peppers. Feel free to use any kind of red bell pepper.
- Dill Pickle – Will be used in the filling and will mimic the taste of a crispy fried chicken sandwich.
- Colby Cheese – Feel free to use any kind of cheese you prefer. Colby Cheese taste really good for this recipe.
For the buns:
Here are the ingredients you will need to make the dough for the buns:
- Olive oil
- Sesame Seeds – Will be used to sprinkle on top of the buns.
Copy Cat of the Chick-fil-A sauce
- Barbecue sauce
- Garlic Powder
You can also check out another sweet way for stuffing buns ! Honeycomb bread stuffed in cheese.
Crispy Chicken Stuffed Buns
For the filling
- 1 Pound Chopped Chicken Tenders
- 1 tbsp Flour
- 1 tbsp Corn Starch
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 cup Chopped Red Peppers
- 1 cup Chopped Dill Pickles
- Slices of Colby cheese cut in squares for each of the filling
For the buns
- 5 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 tbsp yeast
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
Copy Cat Chick-fil-A sauce
- 2 tsp Yellow Mustard
- 1/2 cup Mayonaise
- 2 tbsp BBQ Sauce
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- Make the dough first, as it will need at least 1 hour to rise or double in size. Using a stand up mixter or a large mixing bowl, combine sifted flour and salt together. Combine warm milk, warm water, olive oil, sugar, and egg.
- In a cup dissolve yeast, sugar, and WARM milk. Combine and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Pour yeast into flour and knead until dough is soft and elastic.
- Cover the bowl you have the dough in, and let it rise for about an hour.
- To prepare the filling. Wash and pat dry chicken. Cut into bite size or small cubes. Add cornstarch, flour, honey, salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder. Mix until combined.
- On a large skillet, over medium to high heat, add the olive oil.
- Add the chicken and cook until tender and crisp.
- Add chopped bell peppers, and mix with the chicken together.
- Set aside and let it cool down before stuffing.
- Once the dough doubled in size, punch the dough and divide into 4 and then 8. You want the dough to be size of your palm.
- Roll into a flattened oval and add about 2 tbsp of the filling, a slice or two of dill pickles, and slice of half of Colby Cheese.
- Bring the edges of the dough together and close tightly.
- Place stuffed buns on a baking pan.
- Brush with egg and sprinkle sesame seeds.
- Bake in a preheated oven on 375 F degrees for about 12-15 minutes or until golden on top.
Copy cat Chick-fil-A sauce
- In a small mixing bowl combine yellow mustard, barbecue sauce, mayonnaise, honey, and garlic powder. Use a whisk to combine.
- These buns can be stored in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- You may make these in advance and freeze them up to 3 months. Thaw and then pop them in the oven at 375 F degrees and cook for 12-15 minutes or until golden on top.
- The buns cook up fast in the oven, so make sure to keep your eyes on them so they do not burn.
- You can keep this homemade Chick-fil-A sauce in the fridge for up to 4-5 days.