This is not your typical flatbread recipe. Perfect for a quick vegetarian dinner or an appetizer. This delicious flatbread includes a homemade flatbread crust, homemade basil pesto, topped with mozzarella cheese, tomatoes, and sun dried tomatoes. Garnish with za’atar then baked to perfection. I must say this is probably better than any restaurant flatbread ever!
You’ll Love This Flatbread
- Homemade crispy crust always hits the spot.
- Home basil pesto always taste better and fresher.
- Quick and easy recipe ready in less than 30 minutes.
- Its a delicious vegetarian meal that you can eat with your eyes. This is a great way to use up all those ripe tomatoes from the garden. Pin this recipe for later so that when you have a lot of juicy ripe tomatoes, you’ve got the perfect simple recipe to satisfy your hunger.
What You’ll Need:
For the flatbread dough:
You can have your own homemade crispy flatbread baked in the oven in less than 10 minutes. NO YEAST required.
- All-Purpose Flour – All-purpose flour makes a good thin and crispy flatbread crust.
- Warm Milk- Milk needs to be WARM. This is crucial into making your dough. Cold milk can leave you with sticky flatbread crust.
- Olive Oil – Flatbread dough need oil to help it stretch. It also adds a nice aromatic flavor to the dough.
- Baking Powder – Will make the dough rise quickly and makes the dough soft and fluffy.
- Butter – Adding butter gives the dough a crispier crust.
For the homemade basil pesto:
I absolutely love pesto and all of the super fresh basil, garlicky, and cheese flavor. While store-bought pesto can taste great, you cant compare to the flavor of homemade! Here are the ingredients you will need:
- Fresh Basil Leaves
- Garlic Cloves
- Pine nuts
- Parmesan Cheese
- Salt and Pepper
- Olive Oil
These delicious toppings will give you the best homemade flatbread recipe ever. Here are the toppings:
- Sun dried tomatoes – Gives the flatbread a sweet and tangy taste.
- Fresh Mozzarella Slices – This soft pre-sliced mozzarella cheese will melt perfectly in the oven giving you the best kind of cheese for this recipe.
- Tomatoes – Thinly sliced tomatoes.
- Za’atar- A Middle Eastern spice blends filled with aromatic combinations of dried oregano, thyme, sumac, and toasted sesame seeds.