This is hands down the best quiche I have ever had. With a homemade crispy pie crust filled with a creamy egg and cheese custard.
What is Quiche?
Quiche is a French tart that is composed with pastry crust or homemade pie crust baked with savory custard filling that is thickened with eggs and heavy cream. Topped off and broiled with mozzarella cheese that makes this quiche extra cheesy and creamy! There are many recipes out there to make quiche. Some like to add bits of meat, seafood, or even vegetables. You can add whatever you’d like! The best part about this recipe that it’s customizable to your liking.
I honestly have to admit that I’ve only had quiche once in my life and never seem to care for it. The funny thing is, I’ve been craving egg soufflé and the first thing that came to mind was quiche! Have you ever felt so stressed looking at all the leftovers you have in the fridge. Let alone all the greens that you once used for the last recipe that you don’t want to go bad. Yes, I’m always in that situation and I always never want to be the one to throw away food. In this situation, I had to consume all the spinach that I had in the fridge. So why not add spinach to quiche? Perfect idea and it came out so good!
What Makes the Best Quiche?
It’s all about texture. A thick custard that is made with heavy cream and eggs. The heavy cream holds the filling in place so each time you cut a piece of quiche it’s in a perfect slice. So the secret to an amazing quiche filling is the cheese in the custard. I added mixed shredded cheese in the mixture of the filling. This made the texture hold its place. Also, one thing that also made a difference was the topping. I covered the top of the quiche with shredded mozzarella.
So we have the custard filling and what about the crust? Making the pie crust was so easy to prepare. The only ingredients you will need to make the crispiest homemade pie crust are flour, sugar, salt, ice water, and butter. No shortenings and no oil! So simple. I’m sure you’re already wondering why the ice water? As you’re mixing the butter in with the flour, the temperature will warm. Therefore, adding ice water will prevent the fat from warming any further. Remember that we want a crispy flaky crust. Ice water will bind the dough together and you’ll have a smoother consistency to work with.
For the most perfect and creamy quiche, here are the ingredients you will need!
- Pie Crust – You can make the crust at home, which is super simple to make and with only few ingredients or you can buy the pie crust from your local grocery store.
- Heavy Cream – This is an essential when making quiche. The heavy cream will hold the texture in place and giving it that cream texture.
- Onions – You’re going to caramelized the onions first to add to the quiche mixture. Caramelizing the onions will add more flavor and richness to your quiche.
- Spinach – Adding this to the filling will give it more of a balance and flavor between all the dairy that is added to the quiche. You may substitute the spinach to any vegetable you prefer. I like spinach the best because its high in minerals and vitamins.
- Mozzarella Cheese – Topping the quiche with mozzarella cheese then broiled on top for 2 minutes to add that extra crisp we all love. Be sure to keep your eyes on the quiche when you broil the top so the edges of the pie crust does not burn.
- Mixed Cheese – I used Mexican cheese since it has a variety of different blend of cheese mixed together. I added about a cup to the filling and this is what made this recipe so special.
- Eggs – You can’t forget the eggs! Its not quiche without eggs.
- Salt and Pepper – To season the filling.
- Butter – Using butter to caramelize the onions.
How to Make Quiche
- You want to have the pie crust ready. You can prepare the pie crust in advance and lay out the crust on a pie dish, or, you can buy pre made pie crust from your local grocery store.
- To prepare the filling you want to chop the onions. I used yellow onions for this recipe. On a skillet caramelize the onions with butter.
- In a mixing bowl combine, whisked eggs, heavy cream, Mexican cheese, spinach, and caramelized onions.
- Pour the mixture on top of the pie crust.
- Add shredded Mozzarella cheese on top of the quiche.
- Bake at 375° F for 45 minutes until crust is golden and filling is set.