This is the juiciest Chicken Breast you will ever make. Filled with Mediterranean flavors, Za’atar packed with Mozzarella cheese. This is a versatile meal and can be used on almost anything. Searing on the stove then finishing it off in the oven ensures it is perfectly cooked in the center.
Za’atar is a flavor packed Mediterranean spice blend of thyme or marjoram, oregano, and sumac. It always includes sesame seeds which adds a nice nutty flavor to the mix. It is an amazing Middle Eastern spice because it is incredibly versatile and seamlessly be incorporated into any dish you are making!
I decided to give this dish a try for the first time. Making this dish I decided to stuff the za’atar mixture inside the chicken instead of the outside. This brings out the flavor more since the za’atar is in the middle of the chicken. Cooking chicken breast is difficult because it is the only kind of chicken that always comes out dry. Searing the chicken first on both sides gives it that nice crisp golden color everyone wants when they eat chicken. After it is done searing, you want to finish it off in the oven so it cooks perfectly all around. Make sure you cover the baking dish with aluminum foil so the chicken does not dry out.
This dish is so simple to make and you can incorporate into any dish you are making such as:
- Meal prep (throw some of your favorite vegetables on the side)
- Samosa (fried or baked pastry with a savory filling)
Ingredients for Za’atar and Mozzarella Stuffed Chicken Breast
With only a few ingredients you will have the most juiciest and delicious chicken breast ever. This is definitely a must try!
- Chicken Breast – we use 9 large, boneless, skinless chicken breast. You can use as less or more. Depending on how many you want to cook.
- Seasoning – salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and paprika to season the outside of the chicken.
- Za’atar – this spice blend will go inside the chicken.
- Mozzarella Cheese – adding cheese will also make the chicken more flavorful and juicy.
- Vegetable Oil – you want to use a high point oil when you sear the chicken.
How to Make Za’atar Mozzarella Stuffed Chicken Breast
- Clean your chicken – I always like to clean my chicken thoroughly with lemon and vinegar. Then I rinse out with water, and squeeze the chicken so there isn’t any water left.
- Cut slits in chicken – Lay chicken breast flat and use a sharp knife to cut a slit about 3/4 of the way into the chicken
- Season chicken – Season chicken with salt, black pepper, paprika, and garlic powder.
- Make Za’atar mixture – In a separate bowl combine about 1/8 of olive oil in the za’atar. Set aside.
- Sear chicken – heat a large oven safe pan, or cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add 1 1/2 Tbsp of vegetable oil and saute chicken 4 minutes per side until golden. After searing chicken, transfer to a baking dish
- Stuff chicken – Using a spoon, spread 1 Tbsp of the za’tar mixture inside the cut between the chicken breast. Sprinkle mozzarella on the chicken breast.
- Bake – Cover baking dish with aluminum foil and place in oven at 400 degrees for about 35-40 minutes, (depending on chicken thickness.) You can also use a thermometer by inserting in the deepest part of your chicken registers 165 degrees.
Enjoy this delicious and juicest chicken breast ever!
Za’atar and Mozzarella Stuffed Chicken Breast
- Cast Iron Skillet
- 4-7 Chicken Breast I used more chicken breast just because I was cooking for two family combined. Use however many you want.
- 1/8 cup Olive Oil
- 5 tbsp Za'atar
- 2 cups Mozzarella Cheese
- Vegetable Oil For searing the chicken.
Simple ingredients to season Chicken
- 4 tbsp Paprika
- 4 tbsp Garlic Powder
- Begin by washing chicken thoroughly. Pat dry so there's no excess water.
- Lay chicken on a flat surface and cut slit 3/4 of the way through without cutting all the way through.
- Season your chicken evenly with salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder.
- In a separate bowl, mix olive oil and Za'atar together. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 415°
- Heat about 1 1/2 Tbsp of vegetable oil in an oven-proof pan such as cast iron. If you don't have that, you can transfer the chicken after searing to a baking dish too. We want to sear the chicken on both sides for about 4 minute- before stuffing the chicken with the za'atar mixture and mozzarella. This way the stuffing does not fall out of the chicken on to the skillet.
- Add chicken and saute for 4 minutes per side until golden brown on each side.
- After searing, go ahead and place on baking dish.
- Spread about a tablespoon of the za'atar mixture and spread in between the inside of the chicken.
- Sprinkle about a tablespoon of mozzarella cheese on each chicken.
- Cover baking dish with aluminum foil and place in the oven at 400° for about 35-40 minutes. Uncover after it is done cooking and broil for about 5 minutes until the top of the cheese is golden.
- Let it cool down before serving. This pairs well with either a salad, wrap, or even pasta. Enjoy!